The moment when the whole kitchen smelled like warm cinnamon goodness, I knew that I was in for a treat. I was deciding on what to bake and in a whim, I thought of why not make a carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting? And so my search began, scrolling and typing words such as ‘moist carrot cake’ or googling images of it that had only one layer. Majority were images of layered carrot cakes with a generous amount of frosting and looked absolutely divine. However, I was on the mission to find a single layer carrot cake that could fit my 8 inch by 8inch cake pan and I think may have just found the one!
A generous layer of cream cheese frosting, what’s not to love?
I’ve modified the recipe by converting the measurements into cups because I find it much more easier and convenient. I already had 5 blocks of cream cheese in my refrigerator, a staple in my family household. So what better way to use it as frosting instead? I’ve also added a variety of nuts and dried fruits as I had some left. But feel free to add whatever your heart desires! Why not add chocolate chips for a touch of decadence? Or even lemon or orange zest to add another depth of flavour?
After grating the carrots, you will notice that it leaves quite an amount of juice, I removed about 3 tablespoons full and drank it – because free natural carrot juice anyone? I decided to leave the remaining juice to incorporate into the cake batter. To plump up your dried raisins, you could leave it in a bowl of hot water till it just submerge or you could replace it with rum or prehaps orange juice.
After grating the carrots, you will notice that quite an amount of juice is left. I’ve removed about 3 tablespoons full and drank it – cause natural carrot juice anyone? 🙂 I decided to leave the remaining juice to incorporate into the cake batter.
Optional: why not plump up your raisins by soaking it in a bowl with rum until just submerge or perhaps even using orange juice?
My working bench!
Almonds, raisins, walnuts and cranberries!
A warm golden top with traces of fruits and nuts
Making the cream cheese frosting in progress!
Dollop spoonfuls of that thing of a beauty!
Add walnuts for that extra crunch!
This is by far the most absolute carrot cake EVER
Recipe for Nutty Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup of carrots, grated (2 medium size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (note to self: try to use coconut oil instead, healthier)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tsp of white sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon + 1 tsp of cinnamon sugar (1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon + 1/2 tsp of white sugar)
- 1/4 cup ( a handful each) of – almonds, dried cranberries, dried raisins and walnuts
- 7 tbsp of softened butter
- 3/4 cup of icing sugar
- 1 packet of softened cream cheese (250g)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of milk
( Nutty Carrot Cake)
- Preheat your oven to 170 celcius and prepare your cake pan by buttering it.
- Grate you carrots in a bowl and remove most of the juice and leave it aside.
- In a large bowl, sift your flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Add in your cinnamon sugar if you have. Mix it well altogether.
- In a separate bowl, whisk in the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and oil until homogenous.
- Chop your almonds, crush your walnuts and mix it into a bowl with your other dried fruits of you choice.
- Pour your dry flour mixture into the wet batter and fold it well. Add in the carrots and lastly the nuts. Mix it using a spatula until just combine. Limit your strokes.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Let it bake for 40mins till a toothpick inserted comes out clean and after 25mins or so place an aluminium sheet over the surface to prevent it from browning too much.
- Let the cake completely on a wire rack before applying the frosting.
- Whisk the softened cream cheese in a medium bowl till smooth. Add in the softened butter and continue to whisk. Sift the icing sugar and gently fold it in. Add the vanilla extract and milk, stirring it continuously until it forms a thick cream consistency.
- Dollop and spread that over the cooled cake using a spoon. Crush or place some walnuts for decoration and a layer of crunch. Enjoy!
Do let me know what you think about it! 🙂